11/6/12

captains log - levee breach

so my maternity leave is o-v-e-r over. and during my first weekend back at work i was greeted with this email in my inbox during lunch. i LITERALLY lol'd. no joke. and i hope you do the same.

Captain's log:
10:50, October 28th, in the year of our Lord 2012

I hadn't experienced anything like it; this storm was unlike any I had ever seen before.  The levee typically held under such pressure and I had full confidence that today would be like any other day.  How wrong I was. I did not think Hurricane Claire was capable of such extensive damage, and there was total calm before the storm.  I had seen hurricanes like it where the protection was engineered against such blowouts, but this day the levee was overtopped.  Not only did the floodwaters penetrate the first and second barriers after the levee, they penetrated down the furthest I had ever seen.

Luckily, supplies were on hand to mitigate the destruction that had occurred. Under my supervision, all damage was abated, except for some minor damage that my partner K.J. Rickert will allay after she returns from her other duties.

Today is a day that will live in infamy.  I wouldn't be surprised if minstrels sing a song of my bravery for years to come.

Sincerely,
Capt. D.L. Rickert