7/26/11

GUEST SPOT

Sooo the hubs gets his first "guest post" finally.  I'm gonna talk about the railing we (I) put up.  You know i'm a cheapskate and like to save some money when I can, so when I saw how much newel posts cost (70 bucks, and oh, newel posts are basically endposts), I thought I will just pay 15 bucks for a 4x4 board and get 2 posts out of it.  BAM-instant 125 dollar savings!

It all started with buying the wood and white spindles to make the railing.  I think we spent around $120 for everything.  Aaaaaaand then I let everything sit for about a month.  Some of these projects seem too new and scary to just jump into-plus there's alot of xbox to play.


 
The first thing I did was to cut the handrail and baserail to size.  Then came the sanding.  Then I had to drill holes for each of the spindles to fit into.  I used a router to make a rounded edge on the railing (a router is basically a drill that has different drill heads- you push the piece of wood onto the side of the router bit and you get a consistent design). Glue everything together, and then bring it inside to put together.


The biggest issue with a railing is you need the posts to be secured into the floor.  this means a 1 1/2 foot long screw that needs to be put in pretty straight into the floor.  So luckily I put them in fairly straight and joined everything together to get this:

Ok, ok it's not completely done. But close!  Maybe I'll finish it after I beat this xbox game...